Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Epic Gentleman Of The Week


Imagine the scene. A young woman bartender. Cute. Friendly. Mixes all the good drinks. A pro, even at her (not) advanced years. Swamped behind a convention hotel lobby bar. Your Epic stationed at one corner of said bar nursing a late night martini. A fellow elbows his way to the rail, asks for a glass of water. Nice looking young man. Blazer and tie. VERY odd attire for this crowd. She hands over the H2O and he slides over a twenty dollar bill. "Here's for all the water you poured for me tonight".

And here's to you sir, whoever you are. Fellows like you give those of us a generation [or two] farther along a glimmer of hope for the future of gentlemanly behavior. Here's to you.

8 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Ah yes, but these fellow are few and far between.
I have less hope for the future than you do.

Sandra said...

What a great story! So glad to see the younger generation stepping up! Thanks for sharing. xoxo

ADG said...

Indeed. And my, how rare these instances are.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear, rare to see. There's hope!

James said...

I join you in raising a glass to this gentleman.

M.Lane said...

BDV, awww come on. To quote Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, "there was always only a fool's hope..." but hope there is.

BTS, I knew you would appreciate this one. If I ever did drink water in a bar, which I don't recall ever doing, I would tip for the service. As Sinatra was wont to say when offered a water back for his JD, "no thanks. I'm not dirty, I'm thirsty".

Thanks all, for your comments and visits!

ML

Suburban Princess said...

Love this :O)
My husband is that kind of guy and I am sure will be teaching our son to be the same :O)

M.Lane said...

SP, in my experience that is usually where it comes from. And a worthy effort.

ML