Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Friday, May 22, 2009

A Painting From Frank's House

Some days, things just break your way. I was cruising Ebay in a Sinatra sort of mood. All of a sudden, I came upon a charity auction for an animal shelter in California. One of the items was a painting from Frank's house in Palm Springs!! I had no chance of winning it of course. But, as the Chairman would say "why not toss the cubes and see what number comes up?" A couple of days later, I was the proud owner of the painting by "Luce" shown above.

What ensued was a period of anxious waiting reminiscent of my boyhood when each day waiting for some trinket to arrive in the mail was sheer torture. Or later, when it seemed the new issue of Playboy would just NOT arrive. A few days after my winning bid, the package arrived at my home and I was the proud owner of something that had been Sinatra's. Along with a very nice letter from the current owner of Sinatra's home attesting to the fact that when she bought it from his estate [fully furnished] the painting was in it. I am proud of my house, but it isn't close to Frank's place...






But my house is a little bit closer to Palm Springs now. I put the painting up at home near my bar. Where it should be. Put "Come Fly With Me" on the stereo and made a Stoli martini. To welcome this small painting to its new home in appropriate style. It may just be my imagination, but the cocktail parties I have had since then have had more "ring a ding ding". As he would have said. And I think perhaps, for a moment, the Chairman of the Board glanced my way and gave just the slightest of approving nods.

7 comments:

heavy tweed jacket said...

Acting Chairman Lane - What an amazing story! You have a great painting and a wonderful tale to go with it. Perfect.

*Pink Preppy Party Girl* said...

Wonderful story. On ebay (about a year ago), they were auctioning crystal glasses, Harmonie pattern, from Frank's stock too. Have a fabulous weekend!

CashmereLibrarian said...

So exciting! I must get down to Florida one of these days and have a drink in your swingin' bar.

Maybe we can invite Petunia too?

M.Lane said...

HTJ, thanks! I admit it is a real "kick in the head" to see that painting and realize the stories IT has seen...

PPPG, oh, I'll bet those glasses went for a bundle! It is amazing what you can find on Ebay isn't it?

CL, any time. You just let me know. And of course we will invite Petunia! What a time that would be!
We could start with a toast to the best name in all the blogosphere...

Thanks everyone for your visits and comments!

ML

Ben said...

That's certainly a special piece to have in your own bar. Wonder how many near fist fights its presided over? Dino, lemme have the keys, you're not driving back to LA in your condition. Come one Sammy will give me a freakin' hand over here?

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

My college boyfriend's mother lived in Palm Desert and whenever I visited she begged me to take her to the Catholic church because Frank was an usher. To this day I can't say why I never did.

M.Lane said...

Ben, that is SO perfect. I howled when I read your comment, and so true. I admit though I was thinking more of FS and Ava...

Mrs. Scoffs, glad to see your comment! I think it is great that he was a church usher at that point in his life.

ML