Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Monday, December 28, 2009

The 2009 Christmas Tour Part 1: Kansas City

A quick return to one of my favorite towns at the end of the business travel year took place in November. The start of the trip was inauspicious at best...



The weather remained lousy, but a return to one of my favorite hotels anywhere helped restore balance...





As did a pint of Belhaven Wee Heavy Ale at the wonderful Flying Saucer bar. Nothing like Scots-made libation in foul weather.



Or two...





No more than two.


Dinner at Pierpont's, which is located inside Union Station in space previously occupied by the private quarters of J.P. Morgan, was certainly on the agenda. Must have been nice to be a railroad baron...


Looking toward the entrance to Pierpont's...


Train sets in a huge annual holiday display...


Christmas trees at silent auction for charity...

Dozens of them...






A large illuminated wreath at the door of Union Station...


A drink and a swanky light fixture at my table inside Pierpont's...

A hundred wrapped gifts added a very festive decor to the meal...


If you find yourself in K.C., you must try Pierpont's. It is glamorous in the proper sense and the food is marvelous. Beef predominates, as is proper in Kansas City, but the seafood offerings were marvelous also.

No trip to Kansas City would be complete without dinner at Pierpont's. Or without making the scene for the combo playing at the Blue Room jazz club in the 18th Street and Vine district...


Or without a late nightcap in the equally famous Drum Room bar at the President Hotel...
The Drum Room's great bartender Pamela always has a bottle of Pinch scotch behind the bar. God bless her. She also has Yukon Jack. Don't ask.

Taken outside the Drum Room after a hefty and thoroughly satisfying evening...



If a huge monetary sponsor appears for The Epic in 2010, they will need to send a good camera on my trips. A good photographer would not hurt either. And a driver. Perhaps a valet also...

My second visit to Kansas City this year proved to be cold, wet, and altogether wonderful. I cannot wait to return next year.

2 comments:

DocP said...

For the past ten years, I have has reason to travel to KC two or three times a year. Sadly, that is now over. I agree with you about dinner at Pierpont's. I must find an excuse to return!

M.Lane said...

Doc, I hope you get the chance! Thanks for the visit and the comment.

ML