Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Daiquiri Day


There is that one particular day.  When the sun is hot enough.  The day long enough. The linen suit crinkled enough. The day when, in the words of an old pal, "you just have to put what matters in a paper sack and head south".  As far as you can go. Physically or metaphysically.

On that day, I declare it Rum Season.  The season continues as long as it is needed.  Or required. You can have a "Rum Diary" Rum Season. If you are on the run. But if you merely need to get to a dark bar in a tropical spot, the Daiquiri is just the ticket.

2 oz. white rum
1/2 oz lime juice
1 teaspoon fine sugar
Shaken with ice and strained into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a slice of lime.

Slightly tart. Smooth. With a rum kick. Perhaps the most elegant warm weather cocktail.  No.  Not warm weather. Sultry weather. The sort of weather when Hem drank them in the Keys.  As did David Niven in Bermuda.  And Ian Fleming in Jamaica. Men who knew things. Back before the blendermeisters fouled everything up.  One sip and you are transported to a cooler place.  In many ways. Don't be surprised if, after two or three, a fellow wearing vintage Ray Ban Clubmasters steps into the dark room where you are sitting.  He will walk over, sit down, and hand you an envelope.  Whether you open it is up to you.  But you are drinking a Daiquiri. You'll open it.

P.S. Today is National Daiquiri Day. Cheers!

4 comments:

Main Line Sportsman said...

I prefer Mount Gay for mine...adds a level of flavor!

M.Lane said...

Dark rum? I will think of it but....

ML

Anonymous said...

It is impossible in small-town Wisconsin to get a real daiquiri in most bars. They always want to serve you a strawberry version. Yuck. What's next: Blueberry Bloody Marys?

This is a classic recipe.

M.Lane said...

NEW, I feel your pain. I grew up in Land O' Lakes.

How about Rhubarb "manhattans"?

ML