Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Epic Cookery: Tuna Steak Au Poivre Et Au Citron


There are times when I really crave a tuna steak.  When I do, and I am pressed for time, I like to make Epic Tuna Au Poivre at Au Citron.  Even my son the Future Rock Star loves this dish.  I warn you though, my photos of it look lousy.  The actual finished product is really good. 

Start by greasing up a small cast iron fry pan with olive oil.  In a pinch, a good pie pan will do.  Set the oven at about 350 or use the broiler. Get a nice piece of tuna steak and wash it off well then pat it dry with paper towels...this is a very nice piece I got from the local grocer...


You don't need fancy spices for this dish...just a pepper grinder, and dried orange or lemon peel, or both depending on how tropical you feel...

 
 
Sometimes I feel like melting butter, most times I am trying to be fat conscious when I make this healthy dinner so I use butter substitute.  Since I am not cooking the fish in the butter, it doesn't matter if you use the substitute and it tastes fine to me.  Let it stay out to get to room temperature.  Of course you need sea salt...



Personally, I can't tell the difference between types of salt, but this comes in a cool grinder and it makes me feel like more of a chef.  As the stove heats up, crank some salt, coarse ground pepper, and citrus peel onto the tuna...



A glass of nice Sauvignon Blanc or Cotes Du Rhone right about here can't hurt things. 


Then put the tuna into the oven and cook it as long as you like it cooked.  In the meantime, swill some more wine and pour a nice pool of the "butter" onto your serving plate and grind more pepper and citrus peel onto it.  A few dots of lemon juice in this pool doesn't hurt either...


Drink some more wine.  When the tuna is cooked the way you prefer, carefully lay the steak on top of your pool of "butter".  Et Voila...


Add some sauteed spinach that you could have been making and some mashed potatoes and you are ready to dine in Epic style.  The "butter" sauce is a perfect compliment to the peppery/citrusy tuna steak.  Along with more of that open bottle of wine, of course.  Hey, this meal is healthy enough...you may as well have a nice bottle to go along with it.  Enjoy!!

No comments: