Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Car Washing Interlude

A million degrees. Perhaps two million with the heat index. In September. The leaves are too fried to turn color. Even a little bit.

I was occupying my time in the only even remotely fun activity I could find. Washing the car. A neighborhood tot was in the driveway and wanted to fiddle with the Future Rock Star's new ($15.00) tennis racket. The following exchange...

FRS: No, you can't mess with my racket. It's NEW.

NT: Oh yeah? Well, my dad could take that thing and hit a ball out of the atmosphere...past the moon!

FRS: So? He's about fifty years older than me, that's why he can do that...

NT: No it's not. It's because HE IS A DAD.

FRS: So what? I have a dad too. He's right there, washing my mom's car.

NT: [Peering at me from a distance] Hmph. Yeah? Well my dad is HAIRIER!!! That's right! They all call him HAIRY HENRY!!

"Hairy Henry" is a VERY respectable neurosurgeon. And now I know his secret identity. I almost burst keeping myself from laughing aloud. I guess that even a mundane chore like washing the car can provide an Epic moment and (later) a loud laugh.


Dr. H. Henry.

2 comments:

Petunia said...

I love the gems that come out of the mouths of babes! I worked with a neurosurgeon once named Henry. Henry S. He fled town after paralyzing a patient or two--nice guy, though! :-O

Unknown said...

I love the story of Hairy Henry and the visual! Great logic, because he is a dad that is why! Best, Becs