Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Open This

At home for a month. A travelling man gets out of sync. In a pleasant way. I adore life at home. But in recent years, being home a month is a rarity. And a delight. The problem is, sooner or later, you are going to have to go again. Some crisis someplace. Or a business meeting. Whatever. You go.

So, off I went last Thursday on my first road trip in thirty days. As much as I like to travel, and as much as I believe in finding fun in the moment, I can tell you I was feeling the pain. Leaving my wife and the Future Rock Star after settling into them again was like amputating my arm. Or both arms. Luckily, I was busy exploring new places and meeting great friends, old and new. But, still. That hint of an ache somewhere around the left upper chest.

I make a point to leave notes for my son and wife every time I go. You could call it mushy. Or melodramatic. I do not care. I do not think that you can say some things often enough. So the notes continue. Not as a troll for reciprocation. Yet...

Tonight I was in a very nice place. Having a very nice meal. A martini or two. My usual while on the road. I returned to my hotel room and settled myself on a balcony overlooking the Inter-coastal Waterway. One of my favorite places "away". I wanted to make a note about dinner for a future Epic entry. Clicked my Blackberry memo pad. Scrolled about.

"Open This" was the title of a singular memo. Not written by me, of that I was certain. Curious, I "opened" the memo...

Hi dad I hope you have a great trip I love you from [The Future Rock Star].

Well. Sometimes, one lovely gesture completely overwhelms you. Erases the loneliness. Fuels you to carry on. So start right now. Leave someone a little note. Maybe just your signature and a little heart. Or a funny stick drawing. Or a kiss mark in palest pink. Or a memo to your Dad. It doesn't matter. You will make the recipient feel as if they had just won the biggest lottery there ever was.

9 comments:

CashmereLibrarian said...

Tears in eyes. Lovely!

I think Future Rock Star will do great things.

CECE said...

Awww, that is so sweet. Im sure that just warmed your heart. I get messages like that from my dad and although Im not a little girl anymore, it makes me feel so loved and secure. Hmmm...maybe thats why Im still single, I get enough love from my parents that is difficult to match by any man =) Thanks for sharing that precious moment.

M.Lane said...

CL, well he certainly has a good heart and that goes most of the way in my book. GREAT to see you back!! If you come my way, I happen to know a few places to get a martini...and [even before those white designer jeans of yours] you STILL have the best blogname...

CECE, thanks for the comment!! The little things like saying how you feel sure make a lot of difference. I can't say about the man issue though..!

ML

Domestic Diva said...

Just joined...... found you via Petunia in Paradise. Look forward to following!!
xxme

M.Lane said...

D.Diva, thanks for coming by and joining!! I'll work hard to earn all my new subscribers' return visits and comments.

ML

Ben said...

Just wonderful. Your son, that is. Travel, not so much when it's too often and too soon.

My son and wife were away last month and we were out of time zone sync and unable to talk much. His bedtime messages to me were precious and were saved for as long as Voicemail would allow.

Be home soon, counselor.

M.Lane said...

Ben, thanks. I made it back home Sunday, so it wasn't too bad. Thanks as always for coming by!

ML

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Sorry so late in commenting. This was a wonderful post. What a great example you are obviously setting for your little man-in-training. My boys love to use my phone to text their dad. And he patiently responds to each one separately.

M.Lane said...

Tessa, FRS had a phone for about a month before its life came to a brutal and early end when it took an inadvertent dive into a Whataburger milk shake. During that time he would sometimes text me which was a great thrill.

As for the example part, as I've said here before [quoting Gregg Allman] I'm no angel, but at least I sense the importance of this time and I'm swinging the bat.

Thanks for the visit and comment!!

ML