Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

XIII




My son, The Future Rock Star, is now 13.

He had a very difficult time in school this year but has flown through to bluer skies. That million-dollar smile intact.

Some time ago, my wife arose from slumber during the wee small hours and discovered me watching video from when the FRS was a month old.

"What are you watching that for?"

"Because I can't remember what he looked like"

Just last Tuesday, I swear, he was eight. And so proud of the fact.

So much time has passed in so little time.

I am, of course, immensely proud of him.

I just wish he still wanted to dress like me.

Is there, perhaps, a "Son Growing Up Too Fast Cocktail?" Please let me know. The sooner the better.

Attitude Adjustment Note: In the event that the cocktail requested above is not forthcoming, I offer...

The Prince's Smile Cocktail
1 Dash Lemon Juice
1/4 Apricot Brandy
1/4 Calvados
1/2 Dry Gin

Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
I'm going to have one.
It can't hurt.

From: The Savoy Cocktail Book

7 comments:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

It's wonderful to bathe in the light comin' off 'em, ain't it?

Belle de Ville said...

Yes, they do grow up fast. Enjoy every minute.
Imagine how I felt last night nursing my martini in a local restaurant with a friend and my son and his girlfriend stopped by our table to say hello.
Thirteen is one thing, but when they are getting close to thirty, YIKES.

M.Lane said...

BDV, that would be strange! Your drink was great anyhow...

Mrs. Scoffs, so well put. Yeah, it is.

ML

James said...

Trust me it doesn't slow down. No matter how hard you try to live in the moment, it goes. You are on to the right thing to do. Enjoy the memories.

Toad said...

Happy Birthday to the FRS, and many thanks to his mother.

Ben said...

Happy Birthday FRS.

Counselor, I know how you feel, my son is seven years behind yours. I can barely remember the details that at the time were so vivid to me during those first tentative years.

Here's my suggestion for the appropriate libation: milkshake at a diner, with son. Whilst the Irish Redhead shops.

Keith said...

Hey there. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I appreciate it. Great post here. I enjoy checking out your blog. Hope you've had a wonderful week. Enjoy the upcoming weekend.