Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Am Honored. I Think.

This arrived in The Epic inbox the other day. There was a note with it that in excited tones clearly seems to say that The Epic has been picked as one of the best blogs in the entire nation of Brazil.

Actually, the note literally says "Seu Blog foi indicado para edicao 2010! Participe do Premio Top Blog!" As I said, the author seems very excited to relay this message to me. There is a slight language issue. I presume that this is written in Portuguese and I don't read Portuguese. So, after a couple of martinis and some pondering of this message, it all became clear to me. I am being given my dream shot. I am going to the web-based Brazilian version of Miramar. Top Blog School. The best of the best. Hand me my leather flight jacket and a new, faster laptop with a battery that actually lasts more than an hour and I am ready to go to Ipanema.

Truly, if I had to bet on it, I would guess that this is an ad trying to get me to buy into a blog directory. But, still...I do not read Portuguese...it could mean anything. So, until corrected by one of my more worldly readers, in Epic fashion I prefer to feel honored. Thank you, Topblog.com.br!! Off to Top Blog School I go. I just wonder if they are ready for a fairly large amount of fiftyish, pale, Norwegian/Irish skin manifesting itself on Ipanema Beach...


...oh yes, I think they are ready. I know I am.

Film Note: My apologies to the writers of the movie Top Gun.

7 comments:

Just a dreamer said...

Yeah, well, it was nice while it lasted......I swear, at 65, nothing in life is at it seems. Truly. JAD

James said...

Do you need a GIB (guy in back)? My Goose to your Maverick? But the ratio of Irish skin will really go up!

Unknown said...

M. Lane--
"...when he walks
He walks like a samba..."

And three cheers (minus Cheleda)
for you if you did, well deserved--

BarbaraG

Ben said...

Does your laptop battery do that too? Effing battery.

Oh, and congratulations.

M.Lane said...

JAD, or is everything as it seems? My favorite line from the one vampire movie I was made to watch was "can it be that EVERYTHING is true?"...

James, I think we should do it. Ipanema would never be the same.

Barb, DEFINITELY NO CHELADA...

Ben, I love the laptop I have but the battery stinks and the extended battery added way too much weight. SO, I use the need for a plug in to lead me to Sky Clubs and bars...

ML

CashmereLibrarian said...

Congratulations on your Major Award!

Anonymous said...

ML,
Whatever the significance of the award--sincere or a come-on--one thing is clear to your many readers:

The Epic is, indeed, a Top Blog.

Best Regards,
LD
aluckydoglife.blogspot.com