Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Friday, February 6, 2015

Epic Listening: Uptown Lounge [Various Artists, 1999]


Some years ago, there was this great bar in Las Vegas called Hamilton's.  The motto of the joint was "where it's always midnight".  And it was an outstanding place.  Big drinks, good music, quiet sophisticated decor, great service. Hamilton's is gone now, but you can re-create the atmosphere with this great ensemble album.  This is in my opinion a particularly strong antidote for the current wintry deluge afflicting much of North America.

While the snow drifts down from the sky, imagine slipping into your smoking jacket, pouring a big whiskey on the rocks or a strong martini, plunking down in a good chair before a crackling fire in the grate and putting on this play list...

1. A Kiss To Build A Dream On - Louis Armstrong
2. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
3. Manhattan - Bobby Short
4. You Stepped Out Of A Dream - Sarah Vaughan
5. Confessin' The Blues - Joe Williams
6. Baby Won't You Please Come Home - Gloria Lynne
7. The Very Thought Of You - Arthur Prysock
8. Sufferin' With The Blues - Nancy Wilson
9. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - Nat King Cole
10. The Lady Is A Tramp - Della Reese
11. Lush Life - Sammy Davis Jr.
12. Unforgettable - Dinah Washington
13. You're The One - Lou Rawls
14. Crazy He Calls Me - Dakota Staton
15. Stormy Weather - Lena Horne
16. Exactly Like You - Carmen McRae
17. Taking A Chance On Love - Billy Eckstine
18. Girl From Ipanema - Esther Philips

Each track is superb, but my very favorites are Manhattan by Bobby Short, The Very Thought of You by Arthur Prysock, and, without equal, Sammy Davis Jr.'s crushing version of Lush Life.  If I am ever in need of walk up music for some reason, this Lush Life may well be it.  I do not exaggerate when I say that this album is so good that you may never want to listen to it other than alone.  With a cocktail.  I can't imagine hearing some of these heart wrenching songs without libation.  This is the album you listen to after you lose her.  Or when you think of her years later.  And it's dark and snowing outside.

You can still buy used copies of this wonderful album on Amazon.com.  For a quarter.  Do what you like, but don't blame me if one day you find yourself in need of one of the best Epic albums ever and they are all sold to someone else. As for me, I'll be where it is always midnight. 

2 comments:

Ben said...

Can you imagine if they played walk up music for us before we gave opening statements? We would be unstoppable!

M.Lane said...

Ben, absolutely!!! I think it would be totally proper. I think Denny Crane did it once ....

ML