Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Monday, March 28, 2016

My Favorite Candy EVER....Sweet's Orange Sticks

It may come as a surprise to the Epic reader that I do not typically enjoy candy.  In fact, I am not usually a dessert person despite what my neo-Edwardian physique might indicate. But that does not mean that I am immune to the siren's song of a great candy.

For example, when I was shopping at the Giant Discount Store the other day for Easter provisions I was exploring their tremendous annual display of Easter candy.  On one corner was a pile of boxes of Sweet's "Orange Sticks".  These caught my eye because they looked "old Florida".  Like something my Dad would have bought from a road-side stand on the Tamiami Trail in 1948.  Like something I would love.  Man was my dining spider sense right on!!!

These little candies, made by the Sweet's Candy Company of Salt Lake City since 1945 are, without question, my favorite candy of all time.  They are simple little bars of orange [or raspberry, or cherry, or BLUEBERRY] jelly covered in the MOST amazing dark [or milk] chocolate.  That is it.  Nothing fancy.  And, just like me, very old fashioned without being too conservative.  They go great with strong coffee.  And with cognac. And with red wine.  Or with nothing at all.

The Sweet's Company has a wonderful ordering option where you can buy a mixed case of Orange, Raspberry, Blueberry and/or Cherry sticks assorted however you like.  Bespoke candy. And at very reasonable prices.  I am in candy heaven. Suffice to say, I am laying in a case or two of "sticks" and I will eat them every day the rest of my life.  They are that good.  I am sure that any Epic would agree.

No comments: