Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Crown Room Revisited

Several people found my attempt to photograph the rocks glass in my post of that title somewhat hilarious. They were curious as to whether there were other, as yet unrevealed, attempts at photography from the same visit to the Delta Crown Room that might indicate more detail about my condition at the time. Or at least about the condition of my talents as an electro-photographer.

Ever ready to please, I include with this note several more shots from that excursion. My intent was to do a little piece on what I consider to be the coolest airport club room which would at that time allow me entry. I am not sure if I still retain that privilege. I still do not know how these shots got to be movies. I have no idea. WARNING: IF YOU ARE IN ANY WAY IMPAIRED OR SUBJECT TO MOTION SICKNESS WHEN YOU VIEW THESE SHOTS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU. You may wind up feeling impaired even if you are not.

I think the decor of the Crown Room Club located at gate C-25 is wonderful for a commercial space. But, what do I know? The pretty lights and ceiling treatment for example...


...the apparently fascinating rather fascinating lighting fixtures and the carpet....


...and what appears to be the top of a cocktail ledge and.....more carpet...

....a very cool chair, more carpet, the point of my tie, a nifty little reading lamp, another ledge...

...a lovely waterfall and marble panel taken at two different compass points just for your enjoyment...

and, finally, the very pretty Crown Room sign in the entryway...at least a portion of it....and some gorgeous marble (careful, this is the worst one of all):


My goal in taking these shots was to illustrate for you how even during a travel delay one can find amusements in pretty surroundings that might not be noticed if the delay had not caused you to have the time to look for them. What I got was whatever sort of piece you see here. There is a LOVELY blog that I read called "Habitually Chic". The link to this blog is in the list to the right. If you want real, expert thoughts on interior decor and design HC is the place to go. I hope you will take my work in this post not as a guide to decor but as a small inspiration to look around you and seek out things you find lovely. Even in an airport. Even during a delay. If you do that, then you may get into the habit of looking for pleasure in odd places and I accomplish my task.

I wish you all a wonderful holiday weekend. Please keep everyone menaced by Hurricane Gustav in your thoughts and prayers, especially those in my beloved New Orleans.

No comments: