Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Rocks Glass

For the imbiber, there is NOTHING like a good rocks glass. Sinatra bought them by the case whenever he hit a joint that had great ones with just the right heft and size. No less a personage than Kingsley Amis described a good rocks glass in this fashion:

"The point of it is not just that it looks pretty--though it does, very--but that in it you can get a lot of ice cubes into a short drink without piling them up above the surface and so numbing the drinker's nose. It is the ideal vessel not only for the Old-Fashioned cocktail but for anything drunk on the rocks..."

In this modern age of air travel, Lord knows there is little enough to praise. My old favorite, Delta, has taken a step toward the return of civility by procuring a huge stock of GREAT rocks glasses! They hold a lot and have a perfectly heavy base which is just the thing for thwarting possible turbulence without spilling a drop. After SERIOUS investigation of this fine "vessel" and its capacity for vodka, I attempted to take the following photo with my digital camera. I have no idea how it went movie on me. I was just thankful that I made it out of the Crown Room Club. Maybe I can buy a case of these glasses out of the bankruptcy estate.....


No comments: