Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Men's Hat Update

Someone said once that if one person does it, it is a statement. If two people do it you've got a grass roots movement. Sounds like Arlo Guthrie to me. Anyway, I have further evidence of the Men's Hat Movement since my piece on that topic.

This morning, I saw a gentleman of about 70, dressed to the nines. Perfect vintage Oxxford suit in mid-gray, white shirt starched so hard a thrown knife would bounce off of it. Of course, a maroon tie with very small pin dots of white. A pocket handkerchief of white. Folded square. And on top of all of this splendor:


A perfect gray fedora!!! I almost "fell out" as they say where I live. It was HOT outside too. What a man. I couldn't decide whether to hug him or buy him a drink. In the event, I did neither but I walked away smiling.

Then. My son, the Future Rock Star, and his mother were shopping for some new clothes and he arrived home sporting:



this very cool pinch crown! With no input from me, subliminal or otherwise.

Gentlemen, the wave is rolling. Will you be on the crest? The quality of companionship provided by our brothers in hats will be top drawer from what I can see.

No comments: