Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Father's Day Come Early: A Family In Full

I jot this note as I am once again moving through the Atlanta airport. Where I just saw the most astounding and lovely thing. A young family, parents perhaps in their mid-thirties, mom in an airline wheelchair for some reason, in a nice summer dress. What really caught my eye, however, was the father and his two pre-teen sons. Dressed in suits. With ties. Shined shoes. Considering the place and the time of day, happy faces. It was all I could do to keep from running up and hugging them all.

I admire this family tremendously. I wish I knew them. I do not know what their travel occasion might have been, but they looked as if going on a trip, together, today, in this hustle and bustle, made up the greatest day of their lives. Seeing them certainly made my day. As I was soon to be headed 180 degrees away from my family at a high rate of speed. It was a Father's Day present, come two weeks early.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Airports are great for taking in the sights - people-wise that is.

Maybe they time traveled from the 50s/60s when folks dressed for traveling by air and train.

Probably not, but I'm sure it was a wonderful sight.

M.Lane said...

If the Dad had been wearing a hat, I would agree with your time warp theory totally! They looked THAT nice.

ML

Ben said...

Refraining from the rant about those who DON'T dress presentably for air travel. I'd be preaching to the choir.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I suppose I'm getting old. I remember the first time I flew to Atlanta with my daddy when I was about eight years old...1969-ish. I can still recall the yellow and white shift that I wore. He wouldn't have thought of wearing anything other than a suit...but then again, he wore a suit everyday anyway. I thought that I was QUITE something!