Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanks


It is easy to be thankful when everything is going well and life is moving along smoothly.  The past eighteen months have been anything but smooth around these parts. I have always found that it is in times of trouble when all of the things to be thankful for become more clear.

To that end, and especially on this American day of Thanksgiving, I would like to say how thankful I am.  For the happy conclusion to the the past year or so of difficulty in my family.  For the people around me.  Irish Redheads.  Future Rock Stars. Co-workers.  Business partners.  Friends near and far.  Neighbors.  Bartenders.  All of the highest calibre. 

And for all of you.  The Epics who still come by regularly even though I have not been publishing as much as I would have liked. The others in the blogosphere who create fascinating things every day for the diversion of the rest of us.

Thankfulness in the midst of difficulties.  So many people are feeling the same way today.  I encourage one and all to look around.  Whether the ground is smooth or rough.  And focus in on the good.  The positive. The lovely. The stimulating.  The grand.  All these things are out there. If we only look for them.  Paying attention in this fashion is truly what Epic living is all about.  Whether or not you are having a holiday today, please take a moment and indulge in thankfulness.  It is the best celebrational feast you can ever have.

9 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I look forward to most posts from you :O)

William Widmaier said...

Well said. I second that motion!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Happy Thanksgiving M. Lane- I'm so glad to hear things are looking up and thanks for your support about my book! Best wishes to you and your family!

Main Line Sportsman said...

Thoughtful and sincere....that's what I like here.
Still sorry we missed each other on that trip...let me know when the next is approaching.

Petunia said...

Hope you and your family had a very happy Thanksgiving!

M.Lane said...

Thanks everyone!

SP and Wiliam, thanks so much for the comments.

DC, I think my copy of your book should arrive via Amazon this week!!

MLS, now THAT was a large time! Next time up I'll have to have a new song ready. I'll let you know...

Petunia, how nice to hear from you! I'm headed to NYC soon, hopefully without the issue that arose during your trip this summer...

And yes, it was a very quiet and nice Thanksgiving. On to Christmas and New Year's Eve!!

ML

vicki archer said...

I hope you had a brilliant Thanksgiving and enjoyed every moment... I am excited for your forthcoming trip... I am sure you will love Paris and all that she offers... Can't wait to hear your thoughts on your return.... xv

Donna said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Life is Grand and even more so with you in it!

Donna said...

Life is Grand and even more so with you in it! Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!