Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

An Ode Before Oprah

Dear L,

I marveled.
Country-proud.
As you did it over and over again.

Beat the world.
Beat the topography of a country.
Beat cancer.
Beat the accusers and the whisperers.

I never understood the singer-looking-like-young-Carly-Simon thing.
On the other hand, I do understand that one.

You helped millions of people.
Defended your honor.
Such as it was.
Now mainly undone.

I don't care if everyone else was doing it.
I don't care that afterward they didn't give the titles to anyone else.
I don't care if you want to talk about it.
I don't care if  you need us to understand.

Jim Thorpe really was the greatest.
They stole his medals for seventy-one years.
Because he played semi-pro ball.
So he could eat.

Now Oprah is going to hold your hand.
And emote with you.

Please.
Please just go away.

Truly yours.
A broken hearted fan.

M.L.

4 comments:

Ben said...

I have a distant pal, a committed and vocal triathlete, who 9 years ago named his son Lance.

How does one deal with that kind of betrayal?

M.Lane said...

Ben I don't know. Perhaps invent a distant third great uncle that discovered Siberia. Or, if it comes up, just say you are named after a guy that helped a lot of people fight cancer.

ML

Shelley said...

Lance who? I'm so disappointed I want to forget he exists. If Oprah won't let that happen I'm prepared to forget her, too.

M.Lane said...

Shelley, AMEN.
Thanks for the visit and the comment!!

ML