Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Paris: Friday in Montmarte


I woke up a little late after my tremendous meal at Taillevent on Thursday evening.  But I had to get up to Montmarte at a certain time in order to meet my walking tour guide from Paris By Mouth.  If you love food, and you get a chance to go to Paris, you really should buy a spot on one of the PBM tours. My guide was lovely and she knew all about the architecture and history of the Montmarte area in addition to where all of the best food could be had.

I arrived early and found the church where we were supposed to meet...


The large ceramic plaques on either side of the door are some of the many heartbreaking Parisian memorials to those lost in World War I...


The interior of the church was also very interesting and pretty...





After exploring the church, I waited outside until a young lady asked if I were waiting for a food tour.  She turned out to be our delightful guide.  There were two other people on the tour, both very nice and well traveled young Americans, and the fellow wrote about the tour on his blog and took many really nice photos.  You can read that post here.   We started at a boulangerie where we were taught how to distinguish a good baguette from a substandard one. 


Then a fromagerie for cheese education, a butcher shop for pates and terrines, a chocolate shop for an amazing selection of candies, a cafe for a glass of wine and a breather, and a patisserie for the latest and greatest in dessert food.  Oh, we ate at each stop, did I mention that?  It was all I could do to wobble up the slopes of Montmarte to get a cab back to my hotel...


By the time I did get back home, I was full of great food, new information, new friends, and another great Parisian day.  It didn't even rain while I was on the tour!! A minor miracle for my week abroad.

That evening, I felt recovered enough from the food tour to stroll a block from my hotel to have a light dinner of avocado terrine, steak Rossini, and apple tart with a bottle of modestly priced Cote-Rotie.  A stroll [in the rain] through St. Germain des Pres and a Calvados [or two] at a couple of  famous spots...

 
 
I actually saw people writing in notebooks at Les Deux Magots.  All drinkers at the Old Navy.  A fine end to another fine day. 

No comments: