Hello!

Welcome to The Epic! I am launching this blog as a manifesto for and a guide to living well. The title and motto of the blog are taken from the Epicureans, at least some of whom believed in the notion that not one minute of the future was guaranteed to them and that as a result they had the duty to live life to its fullest every moment.

I believe in discovering fun and pleasurable things wherever I find myself each day and I am told I have a knack for unearthing them. My hope is that by sharing in my pleasures and some of my ways of finding them you will begin to collect all the riches that lie in the moments of your life. They are there. Take them! All our lives should be.....Epic.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

From The Epic Cellar: Black Opal Cabernet [2009]


If recent wine history has taught us anything, it is that drinking even decent Cabernet for the person confined by an average budget has become tedious, if not downright impossible.  One after another sub-mediocre, rushed to market, inexpensive Cab had left me abandoning the wine in favor of fairly priced blends and pinot noirs.  Except when on my expense account, that is.  Like almost everyone else.  Anyone can drink great Cabernet on an expense account.

This Fathers' Day I received two cases of mixed bottles of red wine from the Future Rock Star and the Irish Redhead.  Certainly the best Fathers' Day gift ever.  One of the bottles was a 2009 Black Opal Australian Cabernet.  Which I opened yesterday. 

I must say, this was an outstanding bottle. Great scent, great deep ruby color.  I drank half the bottle the first day and I loved it.  Then I put my vacuum cork thing in it and drank the rest today.  What was enjoyable yesterday today was simply outstanding!  Flavors in multiple layers from oak to pepper to cherry to whatever else a wine expert might taste.  And you can buy this wine routinely for under ten dollars a bottle!!

If you have given up on a nice Cabernet that you can afford to drink at home, this is the wine for you.  I recommend it wholeheartedly.  Cheers!

No comments: